Share this

Apr 24, 2008

Language law (again)

I just got done talking to an aid in the office of KMT Legislator Chiang Yi-hsiung (江義雄). He is one of the heads of the Education and Culture Committee which is currently looking at the National Languages Development Draft Law (國家語言發展草案).

Let's just say Chiang's staff was refreshingly honest. When I asked about Chiang's opinion for the law, the staff took my number and said she would call me back a few minutes later.

And her answer was clear: Chiang believes this is a low priority law, not nearly as important as those dealing with people's livelihoods, so it won't be dealt with for a while.

When I asked for how long "a while" is, I was told it will probably never get out of committee. Chiang's staff directly stated another problem was that the DPP led Executive Yuan brought this bill up, so after 5-20 "the Minister of Education will probably have a different viewpoint."

I'm going to launch a drive to save this law. I'll try to get attention through a few major portals (like Taigu-bang and Social Force) who might care about this law.

But since it needs blue support, I also need to woo blue people into applying pressure. Anyone know of Blue-friendly Chinese-language sites I can use to increase support?

Note: text of bill again.

No comments: